Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Co-winning?? WHAT????!?!?!!?!?! - Reply to topic

Which is better?

Having a clear Winner is better

42%

42%

[ 9 ]

Co-Winner good

57%

57%

[ 12 ]

Total Votes: 21

ScionShade

Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:38 pm   Reply with quote         

Todays finishing contest had a tie vote.
I, IMHO really liked BOTH images and felt they'
of course,both deserve a win.
Since I have no experience being in the winner circle, I DO imagine that
getting that "Runner-up" tag in yer profile is
really nice, certainly better than the way it used to be
where second got no special attention.
The system NOW is that a tie is broken by who posted "earliest".
And I agree that's kinda fair.( I know-some do not agree with that.)
But, if you had the choice to make "The call"--well?
how would you feel about "TIES" being settled by
sharing the win?
In that case a person's profile would have the
"Co-WINNER!" tag instead of WINNER! and RunnerUP!.
Then the actual third place person would get a bonus that day-
of recieving the RunnerUp! tag.
The matter of which will show first in the gallerys would still
be that the first posters would show first,
or at the top of the days list.
Just an idea.
Smile
Joe

Patre

Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:40 pm   Reply with quote         

My view is that ties for either winner or runner-up should be allowed to remain ties and both pictures awarded either winner or runner-up status.The current criteria that determines winner or runner-up has nothing to do with either the quality of the submitted pictures and/or the number of voters who supported the pictures. In the event of ties, the irrelevant variable of posting time, controls who wins and who is in the runner-up position. There are a number of comparative scenarios in other competitive venues that could be offered here to suggest a tie-breaker that would honor the talents and effort of the artists submitting the pictures. However, in most of them , and in most tie-breaker protocol situations, it is talent and voter approval that determines the eventual winner/runner-up. For the purpose of this particular very subjective venue, I don't think that most PSC contributors would object to a judgment protocol which allowed entries which received the most votes for winners/runnerups to be considered dual winners/runner-ups. However, I do not have any documentation to support that point of view, and therefore I am glad Scion has created the poll.. but I honestly believe that the current criteria for determining winners and runners-up in the event of ties rewards the wrong variable(posting time)
and ignores the factors that normally would be used to select a winner/runner-up, talent and voter approval. An added factor here is that under the current criteria, having the "Advantage" could become the variable not only allowing the chopper more time to complete a picture, but also the factor that controls who might win or be runner-up in a contest. The" chopping time Advantage" seems fair to me, but if it also is used to determine a winner/runner-up, then I believe the policy (as it applies to determining winners/runnersup ) would benefit from a change that only honors and rewards contributor talent and voter approval.

In the larger scheme of world events, this particular issue has no real significance, However, there could potentially be some PSC site contributors (not me) who would benefit by a resume acknowledgement that they had produced a winning or runner-up entry for the PSC daily contests.

zebob

Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:12 pm   Reply with quote         

jeez patre that was quite a speech there. as for me on this subject i dont really care right now because i havent even come close to winning a contest at all. But these are good arguments, but i will have to go with Scion this time.

Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:21 pm   Reply with quote         

Just to clarify..Co-winners and co-runner-ups falls within the tie-breaker protocol suggested both by Scion and myself..I used the word "dual" and applied it to the tie breaker protocol. "Co" works just as well for me..

Robaccomando

Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:13 pm   Reply with quote         

I tied once because the other guy posted first. I'd sure like to see both as winners. Very Happy

blue_lurker

Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:23 pm   Reply with quote         

I like tieing my co-workers up and getting the whipped cream...out...and...cherries..and...but where not talking about that here are we....um nothing to see here move along....(Note to self...stop typing outloud)

billtvshow
Site Moderator

Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:07 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey Scion, just don't update your pic or sage will get the win, no kidding (unless jmh updates the contests to "lock" the final results. Cool
I really liked both of your pics. That was going to be a tough loss for either one. I am happy for you to taste victory at long last.

Now to refer to your topic, I don't like the idea of "two" winners from a statistical pov. However, I can't think of alternative other than the 1) way it is, or 2) what you said, or 3) by having a vote off, which I think would be ridiculous, or 4) by quickly ranking the stats of the posts' voters to see which post had "better" voters, but that brings up the "worth of each individuals vote" issue and what stat to use.

Anyways, congrats on the win and to sage on a nice one as well.
ScionShade

Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:08 pm   Reply with quote         

Smile
Hehehe,
Nooooo, I don't like that last idea at all Smile
I was just curious--anyway the poll doesn't show any overwhelming reaction that would
make this worth anyone's time putting into order.
The 'update warning"--Thanks Shocked
That's kinda scary in a way, there goes the idea of adding a little nudity..
"After the fact" and seeing how long it would take anyone to notice Razz
I never get to have any fun Crying or Very sad

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Co-winning?? WHAT????!?!?!!?!?! - Reply to topic