Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - sand people - Reply to topic

patim

Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:06 pm   Reply with quote         

Who did try to make the two people, in todays source pic, into sand sculptures. I tried, and I can say it is real hard. I guess I'm not the only one who thought of it? Show us your best try. Maybe we can learn from eachother.

Here's mine:

I worked for over 4 hours on it and than I gave up. But...it must be possible Wink

sage

Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:19 pm   Reply with quote         

I thought about it, but didn't try. I guess that doesn't really help you, eh? Confused

aw8pj

Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:28 pm   Reply with quote         

I did for my entry

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/81211/display.html

It took awhile and I still am not completely satisfied with it. I'm sure others could do better but I gave it my best shot. To do mine I used a grainy type of brush with the color dynamics settings active and the foreground background jitter turned up. I then chose a sample of the sand in both a light and dark spot for the f-ground and b-ground colors. Then I just went to work on it. Anybody else have a different or better technique?

blue_lurker

Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:39 pm   Reply with quote         

Yeah I spent hours trying to do that as well, but did not save the results...cause it got the better of me. Yeah had a little temper tantrume, felt good afterwards. Nice work Patem, you got a lot better effect than I did. Get the detail lines was the hard part.

sage

Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:44 pm   Reply with quote         

I guess there's no way of getting the full version of the pict. once the contest has started?

billtvshow
Site Moderator

Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:24 pm   Reply with quote         

Sage, go to the contest page and click on the source that is displayed at the top of the page and the full size image will pop up.
sage

Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:31 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks, BTVS! Man, I feel like a nube Rolling Eyes

BTW, congrats bill! well deserved!

billtvshow
Site Moderator

Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:38 pm   Reply with quote         

I think this concept goes back to a prior discussion from some time ago where people were discussing ways to turn a person into metal or stone. I think it was generally agreed that the best option was hand painting your own shadows/details onto the object. This is what I did when I created the bullrider out of hedges. There was no way that I could find to do any layer blending or effects to apply the shadows from the original to the textured surface, plus when you hand paint, you have full control over what you are trying to achieve, although the painting may take a good bit of practice. Smile

Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:14 pm   Reply with quote         

yes that effect can be done it takes alot of patience and about 3 to 4 layers Smile i thought everyone did a great job. Also noticed theres bee na lot of entries now sometimes 6 pages. Pretty cool gives you so much variety and you see some very interesting works Smile keep up the good work !!!!

patim

Post Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:43 am   Reply with quote         

Thanks for the replies. aw8pj you did well, but as mine, it still lacks some realness. Bill I know it is about painting. I started all the lines by hand and than tried for ages to make all the shadow lines as real as in the object next to it. I know it must be possible to do, but I couldn't get it the same as in the real sculpture, so I deleted it and started again with this base i showed.

It can't be done with blending and layer's...that's for sure Wink

splodge

Post Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:00 am   Reply with quote         

filter>texture>grain

Hallcross Toots
patim

Post Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:06 am   Reply with quote         

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy splodge

Post Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:12 pm   Reply with quote         

...And I thought this was going to be a Star Wars topic...

I too tried to turn the people to sand. My entry was going to be the sand sculture turned to reality and the real couple turned to sand. Unfortunately I spent so long on trying to get the real to sand look right, I rushed through the other half. Which actually turned out to be quite a bit easier than the real to sand portion.

It seems several people tried miserably at the same effect and it seems the only answer is what BillTVShow mentioned. Hand painting the shadows and ALOT of patience.

Good effort to all that tried, but I still haven't seen a realistic rendition (mine included).

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - sand people - Reply to topic