Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Secondary "Theme" contest? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Would PSC visitors like to have a monthly "theme" contest?

Sounds like fun!

65%

65%

[ 15 ]

Already tried and didn't fly (ya dumb newb)

8%

8%

[ 2 ]

Stick with the existing contest structure

8%

8%

[ 2 ]

Who asked you to come here again?

0%

0%

[ 0 ]

Resounding NO!

17%

17%

[ 4 ]

Total Votes: 23

cafn8d

Post Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:51 pm   Reply with quote         

jmh132 wrote:
I like this idea too, but I am looking for arguments for or against a monthly/weekly theme contest?

My (relatively new) addiction to this site keeps me preoccupied and distracted, and hogs nearly all my free time as it is. Wait...I don't know whether that's an argument for or against the idea?

Seriously, though, some of the long-timers have on occasion mentioned they are "burned out" on chopping. Perhpas a text-based starting point would be the different tack needed to rekindle creative sparks. For instance, what do you think of when you hear "raining cats and dogs"? A tremendously heavy rainstorm? Cats and dogs litterally falling out of the sky? Careful not to step in any poodles, there! Reigning cat and dog royal overlords ruling the earth? Raining men? Just a thought...Smile

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:16 pm   Reply with quote         

Quote:
My (relatively new) addiction to this site keeps me preoccupied and distracted, and hogs nearly all my free time as it is. Wait...I don't know whether that's an argument for or against the idea?

Seriously, though, some of the long-timers have on occasion mentioned they are "burned out" on chopping. Perhpas a text-based starting point would be the different tack needed to rekindle creative sparks. For instance, what do you think of when you hear "raining cats and dogs"? A tremendously heavy rainstorm? Cats and dogs litterally falling out of the sky? Careful not to step in any poodles, there! Reigning cat and dog royal overlords ruling the earth? Raining men? Just a thought...Smile

I think this is the best explaination of what I was going for. Many times I see the daily contest pic and I'm stumped as to what to do with it. Granted that's mostly due to my being a non-creative person. But I think it would be fun to see what the more advanced "players" come up with based solely on a text theme.

Post Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:36 pm   Reply with quote         

I think the next scavenger hunt we have after this one should have the following rules:

1. You may not have the same team members as the previous contest.
2. Each team is required to make a new team name...not use the previous one
3. Limit everyone to one beer a day except splodge

MoLinKo

Post Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:50 pm   Reply with quote         

Maybe there should be a monthly contest that we can vary from month to month, one month have a theme, the next month a source pic, the next month something entirely different. Smile

I would hate to add to much and take away from the daily contests, and the advantage membership.

Post Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:29 pm   Reply with quote         

dbbowling wrote:
I think the next scavenger hunt we have after this one should have the following rules:

1. You may not have the same team members as the previous contest.
2. Each team is required to make a new team name...not use the previous one
3. Limit everyone to one beer a day except splodge

I dont agree totally with this. I think using the same team name is fine, but only if you were on the team previously, (you cant just take someone elses team name)

Having the same team members is ok, but at the same time, not. Because I notice that thereare two different kinds of teams. ones made out of the pros, and ones made up of the less-skilled people. As for beer, have at it!

Post Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:50 pm   Reply with quote         

But, on the original topic. I vouch for the ideas posted. I think that it would be really fun, its something to work on while waiting for the next daily contest. I also think that having Advantage shouldnt affect it at all, everyone should get it at exactly the same time.

Post Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:38 pm   Reply with quote         

I'd say try it monthly-at least for one month-
if the 'themed contest' gets a good reaction then try bi-weekly or weekly.
This could end up being great fun Smile

ScionShade

Post Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:18 pm   Reply with quote         

EW! EW! EW !
I got an idea for a theme contest-- art car!

arcaico

Post Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:23 pm   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
EW! EW! EW !
I got an idea for a theme contest-- art car!

I almost read art arc there... then I thought WTF!!!! and read it again...

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

Cambria

Post Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:00 am   Reply with quote         

I do like the idea of "Random Contest of the month"... just to keep things fresh. I do think I'm going through a period of "burn out"... but I'm sure once things settle down at work I'll be back chopping again. The Scavenger Hunt has been a nice focus for a while! I have to admit, it's had me laughing as I go through all the emails & posts here at this site!

But.. back to what Jmh was saying.... I'd be in favor of a "flavor of the month" type contest, and rotating it to different themes could be fun. Perhaps our Mods here could choose from submissions of ideas each month.

arcaico

Post Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:03 am   Reply with quote         

it's even better when you see what the other teams have done cambria... last hunt was my first one... and I sure enjoyed working with my team... and enjoyed even more looking at other team's entries after the hunt was over... too bad I can't play this time... Very Happy there are some tasks even I feel like doing...

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:56 am   Reply with quote         

Confused
jmh132 wrote:
I like this idea too, but I am looking for arguments for or against a monthly/weekly theme contest?

I'm disappointed that there wasn't a bigger response this idea. I am in no way, shape or form suggesting a re-invent of the daily contest. That's why I said it would be a secondary contest.

I very much favor the idea of a monthly contest with a theme instead of a source pic. There is a HUGE amount of talent here (cough, marco, blue lurker/fist, cynn, claf, anfa, feral, etc., etc., etc. cough). The idea of an anonymous-entry contest is interesting but I think it would fit with better in the PSC-format to know who's work is who's. Simply have the voting open only after the submission deadline so that late entries aren't effectively punished for being late.

The other thing that I think of is that this contest shouldn't play into the member's statistics. A win of the monthly would just be another "atta-boy/girl". It wouldn't show as a win in the regular statistics. Maybe as a new entry in the statistics but nothing more.

OneChiefRocker

Post Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:05 am   Reply with quote         

eye-opening...dont' cost nuthin'..sounds fun.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Secondary "Theme" contest? - Reply to topic