Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - View totals - Reply to topic

TheShaman

Post Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:12 pm   Reply with quote         

(ok, i am not sure if this has ever been covered, nor if it can even be done.)
Every time i check my votes or whos voted for me more like, it shows another 'view' in my view total.
my suggestion is (if it can be done) to not count how many times ive viewd my own image, or refreshed the browser to get a more recent picture of my own into that total. this, should be, more than anything to show how many 'other' people have looked at my image. make any sense? suggestion good? bad? or GTFO?
thanks for your time
sean

Post Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:43 pm   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
Every time i check my votes or whos voted for me more like, it shows another 'view' in my view total.
my suggestion is (if it can be done) to not count how many times ive viewd my own image, or refreshed the browser to get a more recent picture of my own into that total.

I've wondered about this myself. This is possible via ASP. Simple if statement really. Unfortunately I know .ASP scripting and have yet to look into learning PHP scripting. But in the .asp world:

The login information is likely written to a cookie (I haven't checked yet) or to the PHP equivalent of an ASP session variable. That information is read and then used in the voting and/or commenting scripts so it could be referenced when the page is loaded or the vote/comment is submitted.

To implement your suggestion a read of the user's information would be done and If the user information matches the user information for the image loaded then the view counter wouldn't be incremented otherwise it is. But, like I said, I know nothing of PHP's underpinnings or of what/how JMH has built the site's guts. It could mean a lot of work for him for all I know.

The other problem is how would he (jmh) update/correct the data for past posts (since those play into the PSCore total right?)? Unless the views are recorded by person (highly unlikely and impractical) an update like this would pretty much be a "point forward" update.

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:20 am   Reply with quote         

In my opinion it should only count every time a different member looks at the image, then you have an accurate account of how many PSC'ers have looked at it, or maybe keep the current one, and have the one I suggested aswell.

yello_piggy

Post Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:33 am   Reply with quote         

I support your suggestion, shaman

supak0ma

Post Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:00 am   Reply with quote         

you can do whatever you do in asp with php.

TheShaman

Post Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:01 am   Reply with quote         

thanks guys! i hoped i wasnt making a dumb suggestion, or being nonsensical, well like i said, i dont know how hard it would be to impliment this.... and i also agree, it would prob have to be 'this point forward' maybe just something to think about... now i must go check how my entry is doing Wink
peace
sean

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - View totals - Reply to topic