Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - My new philosophy - Reply to topic

wcgems

Post Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:32 pm   Reply with quote         

Ok. Here's what I am gonna do 'cause this is what I think PSC is SUPPOSE to be and from what I have read once truely WAS.

Even though I am NOWHERE near being a great chopper (or whatever YOU prefer to call it) I am going to start commenting on things that I feel would improved some of the entries BEFORE I vote on them. Hopefully that person will graciously accept my input and possibly use that and change the image if THEY feel that it WILL improve its quality.

I know what I have made some real crap and i think if most of us started this (and not just saying "HEY GREAT IMAGE" this would help EVERYONE icluding myself become better photo editors, digital artist, etc.

True, I may not comment on every image. Sometimes I just like it flat out the way it is no improvement need and it will get plenty of praise from others folks.

What do you say?

Lets get back to basics.

mikey

Post Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:46 pm   Reply with quote         

Everyone needs critsism, that's the only way to improve" it's a balance between skill and idea that makes good photoshop work" I notice if the idea is great it sometimes makes up for the lack of experiance" Not everyone know's what to look for in terms of technique" but if they see a great idea they will vote for it" so it's a matter of preference, creativity and an eye for detail that determines what someone will vote for" oh, also it's who you know! as it's always been in this world" business as usual" peace... Cool

ScionShade

Post Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:16 pm   Reply with quote         

Great attitude and totally agree.
Too few people are willing to take that backslaps that come from such commenting.
Few are willing to accept that those comments will cost you votes on
your own posts. Bravo!

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:17 pm   Reply with quote         

great points WCG, and mikey, everyone looks for different things in a piece, we are all human, thats in our nature.

Experiences and wisdom will always rule the way we decide to do things, whether it is design, to giving a critique, to near enough anything we do.

And I agree sometimes we all forget what this site is about.

thanks for bringing this up Very Happy

Post Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:47 pm   Reply with quote         

gooooooooooood

Post Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:32 pm   Reply with quote         

Not a new philosophy, and probably not just yours either. I always like it when people comment on how to improve something, but in a friendly positive manner. If I ever see something that could really use improvement in someone's chop, I try to graciously point it out. The people that get on my nerves are the ones that reply to this constructive criticism by basically saying "you have no place to talk, considering your work is crap."
This makes no sense, as skill in seeing how an image would look best and skill in making the image are two different things. Someone might make horrible chops, but that doesn't mean they don't have an eye for spotting flaws and coming up with ideas on how to improve them. In short, I agree that constructive criticism is a good thing, people should take it in a positive way, and people that negatively criticize people's chops are jerks, as well as the ones that think criticism in any form is an attack on their ego.

Post Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:07 am   Reply with quote         

mason4300 wrote:
Not a new philosophy, and probably not just yours either. I always like it when people comment on how to improve something, but in a friendly positive manner. If I ever see something that could really use improvement in someone's chop, I try to graciously point it out. The people that get on my nerves are the ones that reply to this constructive criticism by basically saying "you have no place to talk, considering your work is crap."
This makes no sense, as skill in seeing how an image would look best and skill in making the image are two different things. Someone might make horrible chops, but that doesn't mean they don't have an eye for spotting flaws and coming up with ideas on how to improve them. In short, I agree that constructive criticism is a good thing, people should take it in a positive way, and people that negatively criticize people's chops are jerks, as well as the ones that think criticism in any form is an attack on their ego.

Well said by both wcgems and Mason. I especially like how mason pointed out the difference in the skill-sets. I may suck at chopping but that doesn't mean I'm blind. I'd refer to the FAQ's section "Voting and Comments" but I already did that. Wink

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - My new philosophy - Reply to topic