Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - Change in voting stats.. - Reply to topic

Patre

Post Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:33 pm   Reply with quote         

I just noticed a change in one of my vote count stats. Earlier this morning my total votes received column at PSC read 8018. It now reads 7759. I'm assuming that the correction was created by a built-in fail-safe stat rectifier that adjusts for noted errors. Either that or a new algorithm was coded to detect anomalies that weren't considered previously.
As a result of this change, there may be corollary changes in other stats that, because the number is statistically small, don't immediately register in the stat index, or the visible change is so small that no one notices it.
Interesting, but not of major significance. But just thought I would point it out in the event it has meaning for anyone. Smile

Post Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:48 pm   Reply with quote         

Your assumption is dead-on, Patre.

This problem has "built-in fail-safe stat-rectifying noted error adjustor" written all over it.

Your second guess, however, leads me to believe you simply don't know your stuff when it comes to previously unconsidered anomoly detector algorithm codes.

Patre

Post Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:04 pm   Reply with quote         

Badcop, Here is a parody written on myself by myself for another forum.
I find most of it to reflect general truths about my style of writing and
personality. The parody is itself a parody of my writing style.
To be honest, I am not certain about whether or not algorithms are used
in the coding process to detect errors like the one I described, so you
are absolutely right to say that I "don't know my stuff" .

Here is the parody:

Karma, how dare you even begin to compare me with that no talent hack, Patre.
He is so full of bluster and stale wind that your comparison indeed "blows me away"
he writes pretentiously and offers comments on submitted entries that give an altogether new and shallow meaning to the words "artistic sensibility" He clearly is verbose and "long-winded", two traits which you will find do not characterize my style of commenting and/or dialogue. His images are half-baked and pretend to technical expertise, while my submissions clearly demonstrate advanced photoshopping skills and ingenuity far beyond the normal pale.
So, Karma, if you placed a big "Daily Double" bet on the Serene C-Patre connection, tear up that pari-mutual ticket stub and try handicapping horses that run more at the same speed.

All the best,
Pat(Patre) Smile

jmh132
Site Moderator

Post Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:50 pm   Reply with quote         

yes, a little database cleansing has taken place and will continue to happen on a regular basis. To keep the site fast, a lot of data is cached and so forth. Some of this cached data becomes corrupt after comment/vote removals, banning and generic site anomolies. This is an effort towards a better balance between normalization and practical page build times. The changes to most account will be very small, if even at all.

Patre

Post Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:43 am   Reply with quote         

JMH, Thanks for the explanation. Smile

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - Change in voting stats.. - Reply to topic