Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Question for the old-timers - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

EJH

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:56 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
I was not trying to copy anyone. It just related to how I have been feeling a lot these days. There are a lot of dark artists on this web site. I like most of them. It kind of follows the times. Kind of like music. It all seems pretty dark now a days. Even Rap is all gangsterised and violent now a days. Sign of the times.
I'm not accusing you of copying. I'm just observing what I think has been a trend in recent years.

I highly doubt that the vast majority of the "dark" chops are an expression of some kind of personal torment. I think that most are just trying to imitate what they think is "cool". It is a sign of the times, and it's laziness.

ReyRey

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:57 pm   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
ReyRey wrote:
By the way. No big deal...but this should have waited until after the contest. Confused No?

Oh!

Is this thing still an ACTIVE contest? Shocked

You mean I could actually ENTER it and compete in a way that is FUNNY, LIGHT, INSPIRING, and somewhat Un-DARK???? Shocked Shocked

(*runs and hides*)

YOU BASTARD!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

ReinMan

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:58 pm   Reply with quote         

(*sticks head out from under rock for moment*)

I think this thread is OKAY as long as we don't COMPARE posts or TALK ABOUT SPECIFIC posting ideas that are happening.

The question on deck is (as I understand it): "Do you think this source image would have been handled differently if posted three years ago".

If we stick to that we should be safe from the Ravages of Bored MODS. Wink

TheShaman

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:13 pm   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
we should be safe from the Ravages of Bored MODS.

Question

Board Mods?

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:39 pm   Reply with quote         

By the way. I noticed the change long ago. That is why I started this thread. http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=5938
To do a compare and contrast of the past and present. But I gave up. It was too much to keep up with.

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:46 pm   Reply with quote         

first, rerey, I knew when I saw your work in this contest that it had personal meaning to you. I think it's a powerful image. This isn't your usual style and there's nothing wrong with trying something new.

I started this thread because of a longstanding trend on this site that I find rather unfortunate.

My personal opinion...

I like images with meaning.
I like images with story.
I also like images that are beautiful just for the sake of being beautiful.

I can't stand images that pretend to have meaning.

Taking a source pic, combining it with a goat's head, a discarded baby doll, an old man and ominous lighting is NOT meaningful. To use EJH's word, it's "easy".
It "appeals" to people on a baser level - the gut, not the brain.

Also -
When I saw that the source for today was chains, I knew that an inordinate amount of entries would feature pained people chained up.

I find this kind of predictability and inside-the-box thinking uninspiring.

It's quite possible that photoshop skills on the site today are considerably better than those of 3 years ago.
It's undeniable, however, that the ideas are worse.

splodge

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:56 pm   Reply with quote         

and what splodge said[/b]

Hallcross Toots
ReinMan

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:58 pm   Reply with quote         

badcop wrote:
first, rerey, I knew when I saw your work in this contest that it had personal meaning to you. I think it's a powerful image. This isn't your usual style and there's nothing wrong with trying something new.

I started this thread because of a longstanding trend on this site that I find rather unfortunate.

My personal opinion...

I like images with meaning.
I like images with story.
I also like images that are beautiful just for the sake of being beautiful.

I can't stand images that pretend to have meaning.

Taking a source pic, combining it with a goat's head, a discarded baby doll, an old man and ominous lighting is NOT meaningful.

It "appeals" to people on a baser level - the gut, not the brain.

Also -
When I saw that the source for today was chains, I knew that an inordinate amount of entries would feature pained people chained up.

I find this kind of predictability and inside-the-box thinking uninspiring.

It's quite possible that photoshop skills on the site today are considerably better than those of 3 years ago.
It's undeniable, however, that the ideas are worse.

er, ummm.... I got a BUNNY in mine.... does that count?Confused

(*blushes Embarassed *)

Oh! SORRY! I should NOT have specifically mentioned any details of my Very Late In The Game / Chopped In An Hour entry to this contest. My deepest appologies! It won't EVER happen again (in this particular post) and you can count on that.

(*blushing continues - it might just be too much vodka - who knows? Anyone got pretzels? *)

ReyRey

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:01 pm   Reply with quote         

It's true. Most of the images today are pictures or scenes. The illustrations of situations or really clever twists seem to be few and far between, but when they do show up, they win. Drawing is easy. Thinking is not. Thinking of clever ideas like these
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/90546/display.html
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/70400/display.html
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/67046/display.html
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/49477/cablecar.html
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/79311/under-construction.html
Is very hard to do.
Let's post some of your favorite "outside the box" images to show people what you mean. Wink
I'm going to start a thread for that if you don't mind. I think it will be fun.

ReyRey

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:06 pm   Reply with quote         

janetdog

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:14 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm surprised by the lack of guard dogs behind the locked gate. My first thought was a big mean janetdog(shepherd). Then I thought about a snarling, bouncing chihuahua. I gave up after a few minutes figuring that would be the cliche entry for the day. Then, Caveman and Eureka came on tv and I fell asleep.

Overall, The quality has improved by leaps and bounds over oldschool psc. That and voting. My only winner recieved 8 votes! Still, It was fun to get up, Check out the picture of the day and chop like mad for a few hours to get an image posted. A much smaller image. I usually cut the source down to 800X600 because the big original is too much trouble to chase around ps7 all day. Oh, Some of the darker images are kinda lame. I always felt that bright, colorful images were easier to sell.

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:11 pm   Reply with quote         

Whimthingy wrote:
I thought of only one thing when I saw the chains and padlocks......
just when I finally got over it... Confused

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:16 pm   Reply with quote         

all i thought was, that looks like english trash behind the gate, that must be england, FREE THE ENGLISH TRASH

Hallcross Toots
dewdew

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:39 pm   Reply with quote         

all my chops are outside the box. They all have storys behind them. When i try and put them back in the box they all start babbling. Each one telling his side of the story. I don't believe them though, buncha liars they are.

I say the entrys have changed over the years because the people have changed over the years. Trends like the all evil darkness you all speak of is called self expression. Do some copy others. I don't think so, they may want to learn or emulate a style, or they may just feel that way.
You know Jesse James made choppers long before the world even considered a chopper being a bike they would ride. Before Jesse it was the 70's style choppers like EASY RIDER. He still had a idea and did'nt compromise because it was concidered different. He knew what he wanted to build and now at 100 grand a piece he is laughing all the way to the bank. So who knows the next Jesse may be responding to this post.

EJH

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:30 pm   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
all i thought was, that looks like english trash behind the gate, that must be england, FREE THE ENGLISH TRASH

The photo was taken on Staten Island (which is a rather godforsaken place) Smile

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Question for the old-timers - Reply to topic