Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Not PS but Premiere Pro question - Reply to topic

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:55 am   Reply with quote         

Dunno if anyone here uses Premiere Pro but it's worth a shot.

Is it's possible to re-order the video tracks in Premiere? They sure seem to operate a bit like layers but I can't figure out how to move them around to organize them better (i.e. put my title tracks as the top-most layers.

Anyone know? Confused

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:20 pm   Reply with quote         

In the media window, you can reorder your clips. To move clips around in the media window, it must be set to the Icon View. Do this by clicking on the Icon symbol. Move around the clips until they are in the order you set in your storyboard.

You can use the Create Slideshow command (the icon to the right of the Icon View) to take a rough look at your video. Just select all the clips with the mouse and click on Create Slideshow.

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:41 pm   Reply with quote         

Confused I don't see a "media window". Don't even see it in the windows list.

What I'm trying to do is move the tracks up or down in the order they are in the timeline window. The reason I want to move the whole track is that I've got several stills with transitions and pan/scan effects timed to music. I can create a new track and move them one-at-a-time but they sometimes get shifted a frame or two and no longer synch with the audio track (and then I get to go back through each one to put it right again). Sad

arcaico

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:07 pm   Reply with quote         

damn... I don´t have premiere at my work... but there´s one of the tools that can do that... one with arrows or something... it selects everything ahead of the clip you click... if you don´t wanna select everything, just do that in the first still AFTER the stills you wanna select and move them to video 2 layer, and then do it with the first still in the video 1 layer... and so on... I mean... if that´s what ya wanna do... dunno if I got what ya meant right...

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:14 pm   Reply with quote         

Ahhhhh! I think I understand what you mean arc. Between that and the snap setting I think it'll do for what I need. I'll let you know.

Thanks arc!

the202
Site Moderator

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:58 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:

Is it's possible to re-order the video tracks in Premiere? They sure seem to operate a bit like layers but I can't figure out how to move them around to organize them better (i.e. put my title tracks as the top-most layers.

Anyone know? Confused

I think I understand what you want to do. Unlike Photoshop, you can't reorder tracks (although you can rename them, which is good way to organize a complex project). They just simply start at Track 1 and ascend: Track 2, Track 3 etc.

What you can do, is select all the media (or just the media you want) on any Video Track and move it to another Video Track.

To do this, re-size your time line so you can see your entire sequence. Then use your "selection tool (V)" to "lasso" or select only the media clips you wish to relocate.

Here's the trick however. You need a reference point for all the clips you have selected, this is necessary to prevent them from shifting on the timeline either left or right when you drop them in a different track. To do this, make sure "Snap" is activated, move your play-head to the beginning (or end) of any clip you wish to relocate to another track, then (as mentioned earlier) "select" all the media you wish to move, and then drag the "group" of clips to the desired Video Track. Make sure your "reference" clip is, aligned with and snapped to, the play head you positioned earlier.

One other thing. Your video clips may be "linked" to audio clips that reside in the Audio Track section. Sometimes (depending on how you set up your sequence) you can successfully move media from one Video Track to another but the linked Audio may either: not move (which is fine), or it may want to "land" in a different Audio Track that could already-be occupied with other audio media. In case of the latter, the new clips will "insert" over the existing ones...which can create a lot of confusion AND screw up your sequence. Keep an eye out for that.

One way to help alleviate that issue is to set up a new blank Audio Track (say track 5) and select it by clicking on it (at the far left of your timeline). This tells your editor that when you execute an edit, or execute a "media clip move" (like you wish to do) to try and "land" the new audio clips in the selected Audio Track.

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:22 pm   Reply with quote         

the202 wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:

Anyone know? Confused

I think I understand what you want to do. Unlike Photoshop, you can't reorder tracks (although you can rename them, which is good way to organize a complex project). They just simply start at Track 1 and ascend: Track 2, Track 3 etc.

What you can do, is select all the media (or just the media you want) on any Video Track and move it to another Video Track.

To do this, re-size your time line so you can see your entire sequence. Then use your "selection tool (V)" to "lasso" or select only the media clips you wish to relocate.

Here's the trick however. You need a reference point for all the clips you have selected, this is necessary to prevent them from shifting on the timeline either left or right when you drop them in a different track. To do this, make sure "Snap" is activated, move your play-head to the beginning (or end) of any clip you wish to relocate to another track, then (as mentioned earlier) "select" all the media you wish to move, and then drag the "group" of clips to the desired Video Track. Make sure your "reference" clip is, aligned with and snapped to, the play head you positioned earlier.

One other thing. Your video clips may be "linked" to audio clips that reside in the Audio Track section. Sometimes (depending on how you set up your sequence) you can successfully move media from one Video Track to another but the linked Audio may either: not move (which is fine), or it may want to "land" in a different Audio Track that could already-be occupied with other audio media. In case of the latter, the new clips will "insert" over the existing ones...which can create a lot of confusion AND screw up your sequence. Keep an eye out for that.

One way to help alleviate that issue is to set up a new blank Audio Track (say track 5) and select it by clicking on it (at the far left of your timeline). This tells your editor that when you execute an edit, or execute a "media clip move" (like you wish to do) to try and "land" the new audio clips in the selected Audio Track.

Thanks 202! This is almost exactly what I did after arc's advice.

Luckily I only had one sound track in this sequence so I didn't have to worry about that being moved. Good tips for me to remember in the future though as I'm sure I'll have other projects in Premiere! Cool

arcaico

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:36 am   Reply with quote         

if ya had to move the audio too, ya could use the razor to slice the audio according to the stills sequence... just in case ya need to do that in the future...

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:16 am   Reply with quote         

arcaico wrote:
if ya had to move the audio too, ya could use the razor to slice the audio according to the stills sequence... just in case ya need to do that in the future...

Very Happy Good idea! Thanks!

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Not PS but Premiere Pro question - Reply to topic