Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - How to make a GIF - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

malnsk

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:34 pm   Reply with quote         

I know this has bee brought up for a few times... but in the search i can't find anything useful

how to make a gif....been looking for tutorials and all i found suck....no useful info on how to reduce quality or how to preserve good quality etc. where are some good tutorials on starting with gifs..

thanks

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:40 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm on my phone, so I can't post links or anything, but have you tried using save for web and devices? That's probably gonna be your best bet for keeping file size down.

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:42 pm   Reply with quote         

Vokaris has some wicked techniques for creating gif's of a high quality and small size. He posted some links somewhere in the forums. You may want to do a search on his posts.

It would also help to know which software you're using (CS2, CS3, Gimp, Fireworks, etc.). Smile

Edit: Found this quote from him pretty quickly
vokaris wrote:
You don't have to change the proportions - you can resize/crop your layered file to 550 x 206 and change the canvas size to 550x350 - you'll end up with white bars on top and bottom which will blend in the site background.

As far as fitting into the size restrictions - open the Optimize palette (Window - Optimize), open the optimized view (tab) of your image and look at the information bar under the image. The default setting in the right-hand information field is Original/Optimized File Size. Experiment with the Color Table and Dither settings (i.e. Adaptive 128 colors / Diffusion 85%) and monitor the file size in the Optimized view. Run play to see how it affects the quality of the gif. Play some more to fit in the restrictions.

He had written something (on another occasion) about how he shrinks his file sizes down while maintaining quality. I gotta find that. I think he used some secondary software to Photoshop to do it. Voks? Hello?

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:48 pm   Reply with quote         

ask ted , tawarisko he is the master in gif making in my opinion

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:54 pm   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:
You don't have to change the proportions - you can resize/crop your layered file to 550 x 206 and change the canvas size to 550x350 - you'll end up with white bars on top and bottom which will blend in the site background.
On second thought - DON'T CROP a layered file if you have elements coming in and out during the animation.

Martrex

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:57 pm   Reply with quote         

Yes even if you are using PS the version makes a difference. PS(1 or actually (Cool) still used imageready, not sure on PS2, PS3 has the newer integrated system that has to be gotten used to when having stepped up from PS8.
I've done a few ask me anything you want, see if I can help. Very Happy Shocked

One trick as mentioned above is to have a light background to submit size but have frames smaller on top of that, to reduce k's!

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:58 pm   Reply with quote         

My favorite giffy magic Very Happy

splodge

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:23 pm   Reply with quote         

animation for those with PS3/PS4
http://www.hallcross.co.uk/PSCS_3_TUTS.html

if i had you sat at the side of me i could show you how to use imageready, all i can say is wndows > optimize. play with that pallet, reduce no of colors is the best way to optimize a large animated .gif, do not crop, resize in image > image size. last option is to reduce the number of frames

Hallcross Toots
sonic3

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:42 pm   Reply with quote         

I had a tip from Pothed, he suggested using 'motion blur' on objects to allow you to cut down the frame rate but still keep it looking good. Also in the 'save for web and devices' there is an option in the menu on the top right that allows you to optimise the gif to a set file size, it will choose the best settings for you.

I tried to find a tutorial the other week but had to work it out myself in the end.
I found that if you go beyond about 20 frames the quality suffers a little too much.

Best of luck and dont forget we are all happy to help if we can.

splodge

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:54 pm   Reply with quote         

buy flash Smile

Hallcross Toots
Paul Von Stetina

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:05 pm   Reply with quote         

This was a pain to find, but there may be a few things in this thread that can help, it's not really the thread I was looking for, I had started another about making .gifs and I can't find it Confused

http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=7824&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:11 pm   Reply with quote         

buy flash Very Happy

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:48 pm   Reply with quote         

that VON Stetina boy will flash anybody... Wink Laughing

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:51 pm   Reply with quote         

Eve? wanna play fetch the bone??? Laughing

Dechene

Post Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:53 am   Reply with quote         

Quote:
I know this has bee brought up for a few times... but in the search i can't find anything useful

how to make a gif....been looking for tutorials and all i found suck....no useful info on how to reduce quality or how to preserve good quality etc. where are some good tutorials on starting with gifs..

This might suck as well but I had a crack at writing a tutorial for gifs, not comprehensive or anything but might help you a bit.

http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=234599#234599

Cheers, Dechene

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - How to make a GIF - Reply to topic