Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - Views 'n votes - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

DaVinci

Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:18 am   Reply with quote         

I've noticed that lots of entrys got a lots of more views than others...Of course when you post first you get more views, but even when "the big boys" on this site post last, they get 3 or 4 times more views than less famous PSC users...of course they make 9 out of 10 times great work! but even when they post a less great entry they get lots f views and votes! Now don't start the cry baby talk, I am not complaining...I just noticed it.
I wonder how people vote, do they first look at "ALL" the entrys?

Cheers!
DV

PS: I'm not attacking anybody here, I'm just wondering...

supak0ma

Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:23 am   Reply with quote         

there are a lamborghini, a ferrari and a plain suv parked on a street, which ones you go for and take a close look?

DaVinci

Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:43 am   Reply with quote         

That's not the same....with lots of entrys you only see the details when you watch close, you probarly don't agree! But some people thinks, hey he wins a lot...let's give him a vote! or at least a look at it...

a SUV can be good looking 2 btw Wink and hey a ferrari isn't all that, where do you put your groceries when you go shopping?

wendysmurfie

Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:01 am   Reply with quote         

i look at the entry's a couple of times, cause i have a lot of time i see them all. sometimes i look 3 or 4 times before voting for one. I like to sort them by votes and scroll down, or by recent and start at the top.. i dont give my votes all on the same day, i just vote when i have time and pick the ones i like, next day i do some more... etc. I vote for newbies just as well. Sure if a entry has a lot of votes and i haven't take a look at it i will go look to see what's so good about it, sometimes i agree.. sometimes not.. sometimes i rather vote for the newbies cause people with for example 68 votes wont realy care if they got that one vote from me, a newbie though would realy apreciate it, and see it as a motivation. Most of the time i use all my votes. So.. that's how i vote.

Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:11 am   Reply with quote         

welcome to psc, the place where skills AND popularity count! the number of views also contains your views on your own entry, maybe the members with the high numbers of views watch their own entries often ... Shocked

supak0ma

Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:35 am   Reply with quote         

if you own a ferrari, someone else will shop for you! Razz

edit: have you ever heard a Ferrari engine pass by?

clantoncs

Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:37 am   Reply with quote         

I go through voting bursts, I just "Next" through all the entries, voting where appropriate, then go back later by most recent.

I'm sort of like Wendy, I'm much more inclined to vote for a crappy entry from a newbie (like myself!) than a highly voted entry from a long time veteran. I mean I do vote for highly skilled pieces, but being a newbie myself, I really appreciate all the time and hard work that can go into an entry that might take that newbie a couple hours to complete that one of the veterans could throw together (and probably much better) in much less time.

I guess it's pretty even between highly skilled entries and, uh, not-highly-skilled entries for me. Of course a creative idea always gets my vote.

As for the view numbers--perhaps they have a more striking thumbnail? Also, Y-Piggy is probably right.

wendysmurfie

Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:42 am   Reply with quote         

clanton that next button can fool you though.. you must indeed go back and set the site to show all entries on one page, cause i noticed it skipped some when i used the next button in the beginning. that's why i rather show them all and then click to open on the thumb for each entry. Just a tip. Very Happy

Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:43 am   Reply with quote         

I have 1.5 hours each weekday morning before "work" starts. I'm at work 1/2 hour before the daily contest starts (and the 3rd is about to close). So I'll go to the contest that's about to end and I'll look to see if any new entries have been added. I'll do this by doing a "show all entries" and then scrolling down to where I left off browsing the previous day. I'll also do this with the "middle" contest.

After I've gone through the two opens I'll go to the daily contest and start browsing at the very first entry. I'll either vote, comment or move on. No matter what I use the "prev" and "next" links under the pics. That way I go through ALL of the pictures. I've learned that you just can't trust the thumbnail to judge whether the pic deserves to be viewed or not.

This manner of looking allows me to catch all the contests fairly evenly (although Saturdays are sometimes missed). I realize not everyone has the time to view in the same manner that I am able to but you did ask.

Oh when I'm looking at the contest that's about to close I'll also look at the entries that have gotten a fair amount of votes. I do this to read through the comments.

TheShaman

Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:58 am   Reply with quote         

yello_piggy wrote:
welcome to psc, the place where skills AND popularity count! the number of views also contains your views on your own entry, maybe the members with the high numbers of views watch their own entries often ... Shocked

yep I check my entry all day during the week Laughing
or the fact that I'm updating my entries before the contest starts... and when they finally do start, on average I have between 10 -25 views (before anyone has even seen it yet)

Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:07 am   Reply with quote         

Votes...what we get to vote on stuff Shocked ...damn no one told me that we get to vote... Razz

Try these threads for more info

http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2903

http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2580

http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2077

http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2898

See ya back here in about 2-3 hours depends how quick ya read....

Goeny

Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:04 pm   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:
there are a lamborghini, a ferrari and a plain suv parked on a street, which ones you go for and take a close look?

I will take the SUV to ram into the Ferrari... after both cars are destroyed i will leave in the Lamborghini.. Very Happy

Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:24 pm   Reply with quote         

Is there any way to not count the view of the person that did the post?
Rolling Eyes that would make the views more realistic" Wink

Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:11 pm   Reply with quote         

mikey wrote:
Is there any way to not count the view of the person that did the post?
Rolling Eyes that would make the views more realistic" Wink

Doesn't really work, alltough it would be easy to implement it, it's futile.
The person can easily logout and there's no way to identify him, so if he wishes he can reload the page 200 times, increasing the view count.

The only way to avoid this is not counting the views of unregistered visitors.

Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:11 pm   Reply with quote         

the explanation I usually hear is that, the people who have a lot more views is because they update theirs a lot more before the contest starts, because they have advantage. Its a half-truth

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - Views 'n votes - Reply to topic