Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - H2H '08 suggestion - Reply to topic

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu May 10, 2007 11:24 am   Reply with quote         

Might I suggest that, for all future H2H's, there be

1. A consistent date for the event. Say it starts the first Monday in June for example.

2. A consistent sign-up period with a set deadline for when they end. Using the above example, have sign-ups be the first three weeks in the month of May. That time-frame would be clearly specified in the mass email that goes out to all the registered members. Then if they don't make the sign-up it's not PSC's fault. The remaining time between the deadline and event start would be used to iron out any changes needed in the bracket system.

3. A visible listing of everyone who has signed up. Some members may see that someone isn't signed up and be willing to contact them outside of normal PSC-related channels. This would help catch those that didn't get the email (spam filtered perhaps) or haven't visited PSC in a while.

4. A significant and a visible announcement on the top of all pages on PSC. Others have suggested this before as not everyone reads the news items or pays attention to the forums. A simple script would hide the announcement if a member is already signed up for the event to get rid of the "nag" factor.

5. Keep the segmented bracket solution with first-round byes for the power players to help eliminate the odd-man-out scenario like we had last year. If there's an odd number of entrants signed up then have later round byes as needed. Or even have a lottery-draw for a bye in the first round so the first-round is basically the wild-card round.

Alex wrote:
6. Increase the prize value. That's a non-sense actually. Anfa already won a laptop for a single contest. I mean... This shite is hard to win my firends [sic]!! You got to give THE man some credits. (Lifetime adv wasn't a bad start for the first 4)

7. At the end of sign-up the number of entries must be an exponent of 2 or divisible by 4 correct (so the brackets work out)? So if there's 95 entries does that mean the last 3 to sign-up are out? Or should it be the bottom 3 seeds based on PSCore?

Alex

Post Thu May 10, 2007 11:35 am   Reply with quote         

6. Increase the prize value. That's a non-sense actually. Anfa already won a laptop for a single contest. I mean... This shite is hard to win my firends!! You got to give THE man some credits. (Lifetime adv wasn't a bad start for the first 4)

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Thu May 10, 2007 11:40 am   Reply with quote         

1. Great idea, however we should vote and find out when is the most likely time of year people are available, May/June/July/August are vacation time , so maybe March/April

2. Yes an email alert sent out straight away to all members, and 2 week sign up period

3. Very god idea

4. Definately

5. This needs discussion, great idea for this years, but yeah some good thinking Tofu

6. 100% agree Alex, Prizes galore and big ones... like maybe the moon, and the financial district of Tokyo.... or perhaps more laptops I don't know

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu May 10, 2007 11:49 am   Reply with quote         

marcoballistic wrote:
1. Great idea, however we should vote and find out when is the most likely time of year people are available, May/June/July/August are vacation time , so maybe March/April

That would depend on your hemisphere Wink

I use June purely as an example. I totally agree that this needs to be discussed. But once it's decided then it's decided period so that we know what to expect each year.

marcoballistic wrote:
2. Yes an email alert sent out straight away to all members, and 2 week sign up period

2 weeks is kinda short imho. Some may be on vacation that entire time and not see the announcements. Of course with a regularly scheduled H2H people could plan their holidays around it. Twisted Evil Laughing

splodge

Post Thu May 10, 2007 1:43 pm   Reply with quote         

Rules and Info

PSCore based seeding
One image per round, all competitors work from it
Each round will begin on a Monday @ 8AM EDT
Each round will be four days
Two days for entries to be submitted Shocked Two days for voting Shocked
Anonymous image owners
Image must be under 125KB and less than 550x600 (wxh in pixels)
Competitors must post an image or will be black listed from future tournaments
Do not sign up if you will not have time to compete over the next few weeks
All prizes are final, no refunds or exchanges
Good Luck!

wasn't it 3 days chopping, 3 days voting?
i'd prefer 2 days chopping 4 days voting, we all know the worst part is waiting for your opponent to post, but better than the first few h2h's, 6 days to chop, post last min' and no one can vote Sad

Hallcross Toots
mikey

Post Thu May 10, 2007 2:16 pm   Reply with quote         

125k?

Post Thu May 10, 2007 2:37 pm   Reply with quote         

mikey wrote:
125k?

No kiddin'! Can't we at least get 256k? Sad

Oh and another item.

#7 (I think) - At the end of sign-up, for the bracketing to work correctly, the number of entries must be an exponent of 2 or divisible by 4 right?

So if there's 95 entries does that mean the last 3 to sign-up are out? Or should it be the bottom 3 seeds based on PSCore?

MindGraph

Post Thu May 10, 2007 6:24 pm   Reply with quote         

I like this idea. I got in this morning and it took my registration but I didn't get on the board. Seemed like I saw pieces here and there on the H2H but felt like I didn't get the whole overall picture. Doh!

Procyon
Site Admin

Post Thu May 10, 2007 6:28 pm   Reply with quote         

MindGraph wrote:
I like this idea. I got in this morning and it took my registration but I didn't get on the board. Seemed like I saw pieces here and there on the H2H but felt like I didn't get the whole overall picture. Doh!

actually I think somebody emailed me the other day who wants to be removed due to time constraints which COULD mean an open spot. I'll keep you posted mg.

Location: Melbourne, Australian Continent, Earth, Sector 001, United Federation of Planets, Alpha Quadrant.

Post Thu May 10, 2007 7:35 pm   Reply with quote         

Alex wrote:
6. Increase the prize value. That's a non-sense actually. Anfa already won a laptop for a single contest. I mean... This shite is hard to win my firends!! You got to give THE man some credits. (Lifetime adv wasn't a bad start for the first 4)

Hmmm whatever happened to the monthly mega prize contests?

MindGraph

Post Thu May 10, 2007 8:19 pm   Reply with quote         

Procyon wrote:
MindGraph wrote:

actually I think somebody emailed me the other day who wants to be removed due to time constraints which COULD mean an open spot. I'll keep you posted mg.

thanks proc! Would love to get in! Wink

glennhanna

Post Fri May 11, 2007 1:18 am   Reply with quote         

This contest isn't really that anonymous. If you had to choose between just two entries and guess which one belong to which artist, people are going to guess the correct owners at least 60% of the time. Here's my opinion on how to make it harder to tell:

- Come out with a list of all the entrants names in alphabetical order for all to see who is playing

- Secretly give each entrant a code name/secret identity name..... so I might find out from a private IM that my code name is "H2H Poodle Poo", and I would not know the code names to any of the competitors.

-come out with a bracket with all the code names listed (be sure to slightly shuffle some of the rankings so that somebody couldn't figure out the entire bracket by simply calculating everyones' PSC score. The method of slight shuffle might bring up controversy, so we'd have to debate on a fair method of doing this.

-when people vote for an H2H battle, they'll have a harder time figuring out who the artists might be, just as hard as any regular prize contest at PSC

-after each round has ended, and voting results are in... update the bracket and reveal the loser's true identity by showing his/her real PSC name. The secret code-named winners would proceed through the next round and remain anonymous.

-Only when we get to the Championship Round do we get to figure out a the identity of the final two H2H battle entrants.

-So if I lose in the first round, I'll have fun wagering bets with other misfortuned 'didn't winners' on guessing which chopper belongs to which chop. It could be a really fun game for the spectators. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri May 11, 2007 9:05 am   Reply with quote         

Interesting ideas Glenn. But, having been through PSC's H2H the fun is knowing who the two competitors are in each match-up and then trying to figure out who did which chop.

One strategy is to try to imitate your opponent's known chopping style. Great results happen then (along with some funny reactions). Very Happy

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - H2H '08 suggestion - Reply to topic