Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Why does "save for the web" do this? - Reply to topic

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:48 pm   Reply with quote         

I've been working on my Sorceress chop and I went to do a "Save for the Web". I set it to .jpg and maximum (zero blur). Recently I noticed, in the preview window, that the pic had a different brightness than what I see in the .psd's edit window. It's really pronounced when I put the windows side-by-side. Hmmm

This is all on the same LCD monitor so it's not an issue with the monitor's settings. Anyone know how to keep it from doing that? Confused

creatrix

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:00 pm   Reply with quote         

Are you creating your image in CMYK so it has to convert to RGB?

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:31 pm   Reply with quote         

Nope. Only working in RGB. Confused

cafn8d

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:38 pm   Reply with quote         

I don't know why it does it, but it seems to be common. I think this because more than once I've seen people suggest flattening the image, bumping up the saturation, and THEN saving for web... though I've not tried that myself, you might play with it since you're experimenting with so many other things. Smile

AvanRooij

Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:16 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm thinking the color difference might more come from PS cms settings. The CMS option 'color management system' is used to reflect 'true colors' on your screen.

This option tries to adjust the color information on your screen to reflect your final destionation e.g printer, press etc. When you export to web the CMS setting wil be removed causing a much lighter or darker image.

In PS menu go to: Edit -> color settings

This is probable set to North American prepress or Euroscale if you're in Europe.
Try setting it to Web Graphics. The reopen your file and when asked choose 'convert to workspace'

Your image might look different after that. Adjust your image with curves or levels or whatever nessisary to reflect your old image and export it to web. Now you should see no differebce between the to versions.

AvanRooij

Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:27 pm   Reply with quote         

A much better way is: edit -> Assign profile

and choose generic RGB profile

Then if your go to View-> proofsetup->macintoshRGB (or windows) you can switch between MacRGB and your photoshop cms display using Command-Y or ctrl-y in windows

Asigning the profile leaves your image information intact but tells PS to display it according to the profile maching your destination.

Converting as I mentioned above will adjust your image colors to match the destination colors!
This means that the image colors (wich are probably sRGB or Adobe RGB. Profiles who contain much more colors wich can be use for many destinations) are REDUCED to that destination.

So if you want to put it on a website now, but would like to print it later assigning is the way to go.

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:10 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm resurrecting this thread (along with this one that came after) because I'm still having problems.

At first I thought it was the "Save for Web". Now I think it's a problem with my workspace itself. I just realized that when I look in my color picker the colors are all wrong. Instead of grays I get muddy/brownish gray tones.

For instance #808080 isn't a medium grey but rather a taupe-tinted grey. This problem while working is having an adverse effect on the end result in my chops. While working on them they seem to be the color I want and then when I save for web they are all drab and lifeless (like my latest contest entry's colors). Confused

Here's what the color picker looks like:

Better picker-upper:

If I screenshot that window and paste it into a .psd I see this:

See how, in the .psd, the blacks and grays are turned to browns?

HELP!

mightybeet
Site Moderator

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:37 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
I'm resurrecting this thread (along with this one that came after) because I'm still having problems.

At first I thought it was the "Save for Web". Now I think it's a problem with my workspace itself. I just realized that when I look in my color picker the colors are all wrong. Instead of grays I get muddy/brownish gray tones.

For instance #808080 isn't a medium grey but rather a taupe-tinted grey. This problem while working is having an adverse effect on the end result in my chops. While working on them they seem to be the color I want and then when I save for web they are all drab and lifeless (like my latest contest entry's colors). Confused

Here's what the color picker looks like:

If I screenshot that window and paste it into a .psd I see this:

See how the .psd the blacks and browns are turned to gray?

HELP!

read up on what AvanRooij said... and the ngo back and read up on the other thread Very Happy

my theory is that when you take a screen shot yer using a Windows based program to copy the screen. since Windows RGB is lesser than the Adobe one it will be translate thus the reduction in color and thus the browning.

L@rue: I'm eating a bag of bbq chips and drink a cocacola
TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:15 pm   Reply with quote         

This is what I have my color setting set to. This is one thing I didn't mess with.

I have no idea what I did but after messing around with things I finally got my gray to be gray! And my save for the web matches what my PSD looks like! Man I had no idea the syrup in my chop was looking soooooo green instead of amber/brown. Laughing

Hopefully this will stay this way finally! I think I had to set the color profile to my monitor?

I think this is the one I used. I'm not changing anything again 'cuz I don't wanna screw it up. Laughing

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:15 pm   Reply with quote         

apparently there is a bug in version's of PS if you don't upgrade the new version etc, that this can happen.

To solve it in windows, just go to adobe gamma through the control panel, and open it, then close it and open PS again, magic... and also weird Shocked

MindGraph

Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:26 am   Reply with quote         

I think what it's doing is adjusting any colors that aren't web savy in your chop to the closest colors. Pretty sure that's it. It's done that to me numerous times.
TofuTheGreat wrote:
I've been working on my Sorceress chop and I went to do a "Save for the Web". I set it to .jpg and maximum (zero blur). Recently I noticed, in the preview window, that the pic had a different brightness than what I see in the .psd's edit window. It's really pronounced when I put the windows side-by-side. Hmmm

This is all on the same LCD monitor so it's not an issue with the monitor's settings. Anyone know how to keep it from doing that? Confused

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Why does "save for the web" do this? - Reply to topic